Tuesday 16 June 2009

Woah Horsey!

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the forums Blizz chucks in a hand grenade...

I generally avoid patch notes, nerfs and buffs etc. Although in time all these things will effect my toons whilst levelling en mass they have little or no effect. This weeks announcement by Blizzard regarding mounts, however, had me using the expression normally reserved for road accidents or Oprah. I am sure the following is not news to anyone but it is worth a reprint.

Apprentice Riding (Skill 75)
  • 60% land mount speed
  • Requires level 20
  • Cost: 4 gold
  • Mount cost: 1 gold
  • Mail will be sent to players at level 20 guiding the60m to the riding trainer
Journeyman Riding (Skill 150)
  • 100% land mount speed650
  • Requires level 40
  • Cost: 50 gold
  • Mount cost: 10 gold
  • Mail will be sent to players at level 40 guiding them back to the riding trainer
Expert Riding (Skill 225)
  • 150% flying mount speed; 60% land mount speed
  • Requires level 60
  • Cost: 600 gold (faction discounts now apply)
  • Mount Cost: 50 gold
  • Can now be learned in Honor Hold (Alliance) or Thrallmar (Horde)
Artisan Riding (Skill 300)
  • 280% flying mount speed; 100% land mount speed
  • Requires level 70
  • Cost: 5,000 gold (faction discounts now apply)
  • Mount Cost: 100 gold
So why dear reader should I give a flaming gnome for the above changes well it slaps the crap out of my scheduling and approach.

As I mentioned in a previous post I have a few days left of RAF between my 4th and 5th accounts. I have therefore been busily getting as many Horde pairs on Jubei'thos up to 31.99 (so that future chains they recruit can ding them to 60.99) as possible. My plan was then to take a break from RAF and push the level 60 Alliance teams and all DK teams though Outland and onto 80. This doesn't now appear to be the best course of action.

The question is should I begin another RAF and fill in all the remaining 60 slots and then once complete fly my way around Outland at 150% speed? Or suck it up and push teams through as things stand currently. I would love to say my mind is fully made up one way or another. I know I would love to have some 80 teams sooner rather than later but damn I love to fly!

Still while RAF is running the old world ding fest continues.

The good news for me is that everything will get a whole lot cheaper come 3.2.

Current maths for riding skills and mounts is

2790G for 60% mount 43400G for 100% 55800G for first flyer and a staggering 322400G for epic flight and 62000G for cold weather flying. Ouch this makes an eye watering total of 486390 Gold! This of course takes no account of free mounts for Warlocks and Paladins or any current discounts but still - ouch!

3.2 changes this to the still gut wrenching total of 422530 (but with even more faction discounts) and since 150% flight speed will be more than enough for every team but my main farmers the price drops to 106330. Still a chunk of change but far less likely to wake me up screaming in panic.

Regardless of all this I am stoked for the day that I can muster a 10 man flying squad to guard the roads of Outland and Northrend from opposing faction gankers and to scare the bejeebus out of unsuspecting travellers.

Your thoughts as always are most welcome.

3 comments:

  1. "Regardless of all this I am stoked for the day that I can muster a 10 man flying squad to guard the roads of Outland and Northrend from opposing faction gankers and to scare the bejeebus out of unsuspecting travellers."
    Epic comment :D

    It all sounds good but I'm personally annoyed with the mount changes as they just make the game too easy.. mounts were supposed to be a bit of a challenge i thought. Now they wont be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the wife and I are diggin the mount change. we are doing RAF just simply to take the work out of lvling one of each class on alli and horde. I will never lvl another alt without it. When I realized we could grant 30 lvls to some of my stalled alts it was like JOYGASAM!!!!!

    Im a masters student atm and the wife is an Oncology RN so our time to play is limited. being able to ride sooner just makes it more fun for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faster mounts earlier will not make game easier, they just remove lots of timesinks. I for one like it.

    ReplyDelete